1911 The Industrial School of the Japanese Viceroy's Office was established at the current address of National Taipei University of Technology. That is one of the oldest industrial schools in Taiwan.
1914 The metalwork department was added to the Industrial School of the Japanese Viceroy's Office, that is the beginning of the mechanical engineering department.
1945 Taiwan was liberated from the Japanese Empire, and State Taipei School of Industry was renamed Provincial Taipei Vocational School of Industry.
1948 Provincial Taipei Industrial Vocational School was upgraded to be Provincial Taipei Institute of Technology, offering a five-year program, admitting junior high-school graduates to study in the fields of mechanics.
1953 A three-year program, the group of the power mechanical engineering, was established, admitting senior high school and vocational school graduates to study mechanical engineering.
1961 A two-year program was founded in department of mechanical engineering, admitting industrial school graduates to major in mechanical engineering including three divisions, manufacturing, industrial engineering and vehicle engineering.
1963 The division of industrial engineering was upgraded to be the department of industrial engineering.
1965 An evening three-year program was established, admitting senior high school and industrial school graduates who had fulfilled their military obligation or were exempt from military service to complete in four years their education in mechanical engineering department, named power mechanical engineering division.
1972 Established a two-year supplementary school, which graduates to complete in three years their education in mechanical engineering attending on Saturday evening and Sunday.
1981 Provincial Taipei Institute of Technology was converted into National Taipei Institute of Technology.
1985 Established the 2-year mechanical engineering program with 2 divisions: design and control.
1987 The 5-year mechanical engineering program added one more class to meet the need of national development.
1991 The evening three-year mechanical engineering program became three years for student to complete instead of four years and renamed to be The Second Section.
1994 NTUT was upgraded to be National Taipei Institute of Technology with 4- and 2-year programs. As to the Department of Mechanical Engineering, the two-year program began to admit unior college graduates. The four-year program started to admit high-school and vocational school graduates. The department awards bachelor degree to graduates
1996 Institute of Mechatronic Engineering was established and awards master degree to graduates. Dr. W. L. Li was assigned as the first director.
1997 National Taipei Institute of Technology was renamed National Taipei University of Technology. The 4-year program of vehicle division was converted into the Department of Vehicle Engineering. Meanwhile, Dr. zhi-ming Chang was assigned as the first director.
1998 The 5-year program ceased to recruit student.
1999 Institute of Mechatronic Engineering was established and awards master degree to graduates. Dr. H. H. Tang was assigned as the first.
Directors of the Mechanical Engineering Department:
Professor S. L. Lin(47’~72’), Professor S. L. Tsay(72’~78’), Professor W. S. Dan(78’~82’),Professor J. L. Moung(82’~88’),S. H. Shih (88’~92’), Dr. W. L. Li (92’~98’), Dr. Chin-Shu Wang (98’~01’), Dr. Chii Ruey Lin(01’~07'), Dr. Jingsiang Shaw(07'~10'), Dr. Chun-Hsi Su (10'~current)